Old Corner Bookstore photo

Ideas have flourished at this site since 1636 when William Hutchinson occupied it and his wife Anne held religious meetings that led to her excommunication. Thomas Crease constructed this brick shop with second-floor living quarters and a deep gambrel roof in 1711. Ten bookstores have used this building since 1828. It became known as “Parnassus Corner” under publisher William Ticknor.