While the tower was completed in 1915, the clock was not started until noon on April 6, 1916. Built by the Howard Clock Co., it has a 9 foot pendulum. Stats: 22 ft diameter face, 3 ft glass numbers, hands 11 & 14 feet long. The concept – building a deco tower on top of a greek temple – is audacious. As a landmark, it is brilliant; easily identified from all parts of the city, making a distinctive motif for Boston. This aerial view is from a helicopter.
An archival photo from 1913 captures the first stage of construction. Probably taken from the Four & Grain Exchange. The tower design is by Peabody & Stearns, 1913-1915. The original Customs House, a granite temple, was designed by Ammi Young, 1847.