On August 19, 1812, the frigate USS Constitution engaged the British ship HMS Guerriere in a sea battle off Halifax, NS. Constitution overpowered Guerriere in a decisive victory. This is where the “Old Ironsides” nickname was born.
Feb 20, 1815 – decisive battle between USS Constitution and two British ships: Cyane and Levant. Victory for Constitution, her last major battle during the War of 1812.
Old Ironsides is now in drydock for repairs, so no “turnaround” this weekend July 4th. This Commemorative stamp is from 2012, on the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812.
USS Constitution, with sails up, during the commemoration of the battle with Guerriere, August, 1812. Constitution will go into drydock this winter, for two years of restoration work.
Deck cannons of “USS Constitution”, with snow. “Old Ironsides” carried several types of cannons. The 24-pound long guns had a range of 1200 yards.
Tombstone of William Hough, 1714. Copp’s Hill, the Town’s second burying ground, was established in 1659 on a hill named for shoemaker William Copp. The site soon rivaled the Common as a public venue, hosting such spectacles as the 1704 execution of seven pirates. Cannons mounted near here shelled Charlestown during the Battle of Bunker Hill, 1775.